Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First day with parents...

I was happy with the way the room came together. My parents really seemed to like how it looks in there and the kids were pretty excited.

I got to meet one class of 5th graders who seemed awesome and are really excited to take art.

I have gotten a good chunk of my lesson plans done...

For my first week everyone is going to decorate a hand outline to tell me about them. Those will be hung up in the hall with a sign that says something like "hands up for art!"

The next week I will start focusing on line.
Kinder will learn the "line dance" movements for horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc. Then we will practice doing lines on a sheet with crayon and watercolors to make it stand out... followed up by line sculptures. We will ready the Squiggly Line.  Pictures will come soon.

First grade will learn about Mondrian and make a tree drawing (early style, using watercolors and crayons) and animal cutouts (decorated in later style, using tempera paints and permanent markers) to make a landscape with animals.

Second grade is studying Keith Haring and outlines. They will trace each other, color with paint and outline with white or black tempera paint.  They will as a group decorate two sculptures made of foam board that are cutouts like Haring' s style.

Third grade will look at Van Gogh and make landscapes with emotional lines. They will make a glue and pastel drawing so they can see the lines and then will write a letter like van Gogh did to talk to a friend or family member about their artwork.

Fourth grade will look at op art and how lines create illusion of space and volume through hatching. Then we will look at how we can create perspective using lines.

Fifth grade will finish the unit with contour line drawings inspired by Georgia O'Keefe.  They will learn about her life and style and do one, maybe two, contour lines and add watercolor over permanent marker.

I am still finishing my examples and I am always trying to create my resources to match... hopefully by next week I will have some hand pictures to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment